Would You Like a Wee Apple With That Butter?

Apple Cake in an Iron Skillet – Tasty Kitchen (The Pioneer Woman)

For tonight's culinary adventure, the Midden decided to rid the fridge of a few applesand hey, what goes better with apples than two or three sticks of butter?

That's about how much this apple cake recipe called for. I'll end the suspense: it was, of course, delicious.

While the Midden melted the first 1 3/4 sticks of butter in a large skillet and chopped apples, I mixed a third stick with sugar, vanilla, flour, eggs, and cinnamon. Once the butter in the skillet was melted, the Midden added more sugar, then pressed in slices of apple to simmer.


After a few minutes, I added spoonfuls of batter to the skillet.


(I can't help but think of Homer Simpson when I look at that one..."My arteries are clogged with yellow gold!")

We transferred the whole skillet to the oven, where it baked for 25 minutes.


Here's it is, right out of the oven:


And here it is flipped onto a plate.


The slices of apple were almost caramelized in sugary butter. The recipe called for it to be served warm with vanilla ice cream, but we were out, so the Midden whipped up homeade cream instead...which, in the end, lost us a cuppa. (But we agree it was a five!)

We'll give this one another go soon with ice cream for the win!

The Scotsman Says: Four Cuppas

5 comments:

Kristin Halbrook said...

Mmmm, that looks delicious! I make my pineapple upside down cake the same way - carmelize the fruit in a skillet, add the cake batter and bake in the oven. So, so good.

Michelle Schusterman said...

Thanks, Kristin! I haven't had pineapple upside down cake in ages...yum.

Amanda Hannah said...

That looks so goooood.

Erin @ OneParticular Kitchen said...

I am SUCH a sucker for anything made in an iron skillet. Everything tastes better! This looks fabulous.

Web Developers USA said...

wow...very delicious foods:) thanks for posting. really awesome.